Re: Can a Customer take their IP's with them? (Court says yes!)

  • From: Nils Ketelsen
  • Date: Tue Jun 29 13:52:43 2004

On Tue, Jun 29, 2004 at 01:14:05PM -0400, Richard Welty wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 12:27:43 -0400 "Hannigan, Martin" <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Why would the other side(new provider) violate ARIN policy and route the
> > space? The court order doesn't apply to ARIN, or the new
> > provider. I'd say it would be a violation of the agreement, but
> > I'm not a lawyer. Just a thought.
>
> i suspect this will turn out to be a non-issue, even of the new provider
> routes the blocks and nac.net strictly obeys the requirements of the
> TRO. the blocks broken out of the aggregates are probably (i
> haven't looked) likely to be dropped by filters at many large
> providers, which will seriously limit their utility.

I haven't really read the court decision, but there might be ways to
work around this, if both providers want.

Assign an IP-address to the customer out of the new providers space, dig a
tunnel to the old provider, route the customers net through the tunnel.
>From the outside it will look like the customer is still connected
to the old ISP, but the physical connection goes to the new one.

Did the court actually rule, that the new provider has to announce the
network via BGP to its peers or did the court rule, that the customer must
be reached via his old IPs for a limited amount of time?

The second option can be fullfilled without announcing PA-Space in other
networks or something like this. At least if the providers REALLY want to.
Yes it is not really nice, but it is just a workaround. Somebody has
to think about the costs for the
additional traffic (especially for the old provider), but well ... You
do not get service for free.

Nils