Re: Can a Customer take their IP's with them? (Court says yes!)

  • From: Jon Lewis
  • Date: Tue Jun 29 13:29:53 2004

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004, Simon Lockhart wrote:

> 1) They say that they are hindered in their renumbering by not being able
> to get a large enough block of addresses from ARIN (I forget the exact
> wording). Does this mean that NAC were lax with their IP allocation policy
> and let the customer have more addresses than ARIN policies would otherwise
> allow? If their new allocation is really the biggest issue, why not just

I've seen similar claims by others before.  Having gone through the
procedure myself, I'd guess one of two cases.

1) Pegasus did a poor job with their ARIN-NET-ISP request and failed to
convince ARIN that they were efficiently utilizing the amount of PA IP
space they wanted to replace with PI and renumber into or the speed with
which they intended to renumber.

2) ARIN gave Pegasus an initial allocation insufficient to cover their
entire network with the understanding that Pegasus would begin renumbering
and do another ARIN-NET-ISP request when they'd used up the initial
allocation and returned a similar amount of IP space to NAC.

I doubt anyone will comment as to which of these is closest to reality.
Case 2 wouldn't surprise me at all when the space involved is much more
than ARIN's minimum allocation.

> 2) They say they have to write custom software to allow the renumbering. Is
> this related to them having to fit into a smaller address block? Otherwise,
> I don't see why there's such a big issue about having to write *new* software
> because of an IP renumber.

They probably either meant custom software (perhaps just shell scripts) to
partially automate parts of the renumbering process, or that whatever
software they use on their hosting resale systems is somewhat inflexible
with IP addressing and would need to be hacked to deal with dual IP blocks
during the transition.

 Jon Lewis                   |  I route
 Atlantic Net                |