Re: Can a Customer take their IP's with them? (Court says yes!)

  • From: Mark Kent
  • Date: Tue Jun 29 13:19:54 2004

>> If you read through
>> http://www.e-gerbil.net/ras/nac-case/plantiff-affidavit1.pdf you'll
>> see that NAC was blackmailing their client because they knew they
>> could not quickly move out

I think that argument is close to being bogus.  The agreement doesn't
say that they have to be out in 45 days:

  Following a mailing of a notice of an increase of base prices,
  customer shall have ten days from the effective date of the increase
  to provide NAC with a written request to terminate service.  ...  If
  customer elects to terminate, such notice shall be effective thirty
  days following receipt of customer's notice to terminate.

So, it's 45 + 10 + 30 = 85 days.

They mention 60 megawatts of power.  It seems to me that the focus
shouldn't be on the easy task of renumbering a /24 in 85 days (is it
really just a /24?), but on moving the servers :-)

There is mention of increased power charges (up to $18,000) and usage
of 60Mw.  Isn't $20/amp/month still a standard charge in co-lo sites?
If so, $18,000 buys 900amps.   With 120V service, we get
(120*900)/1.67 = 65kw.   65kw over 30 twenty-four hour days is
about 47Mw.   So, the customer is getting a deal.

-mark