Re: Can a Customer take their IP's with them? (Court says yes!)

  • From: Brad Passwaters
  • Date: Tue Jun 29 12:53:35 2004

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 12:27:43 -0400, Hannigan, Martin
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Why would the other side(new provider) violate ARIN policy and route the
> space?

They would not be legaly obligated to do so by the current TRO.  However
note this is supposedly a temporay use of IP space.  Some normal provider
transtition might do end up with the same situation of routing the space.
It could also be that the new provider is only used to route their new addresses
while NAC in accordence with TRO continues to deliver service under the
same conditons as the old agreement for the old address space.

> The court order doesn't apply to ARIN, or the new
> provider. I'd say it would be a violation of the agreement, but
> I'm not a lawyer. Just a thought.

Did you mean it would not be a violation of the TRO? or where you saying the
court counlt require others to break the currnet ARIN agreement/contact?

In either case I would tend to agree but also am not a lawyer...

In fact one might conclude that indeed the only way to currently prevent
the customer from making a smooth transtion would be to stir up a bunch
of ISP's and have *them* blackhole the customer purely on their own.

Hmm what does "natural and probable consequence" mean again....

Brad