Re: Can a Customer take their IP's with them? (Court says yes!)

  • From: Patrick W Gilmore
  • Date: Tue Jun 29 12:16:40 2004

On Jun 29, 2004, at 9:28 AM, Bob Snyder wrote:

Of course, since you're doing this based on email that NAC sent, who has
been enjoined from "directly or indirectly" preventing the customer from
using their IP space, you may be opening NAC up to further liability.

I'm not necessarily opposed to the idea, but it needs to be clear that
you aren't doing this at NAC's request, and even so, the judge may take
a dim view of NAC's involvement.
NAC had nothing to do with this. I have a long history in this and other forums of promoting aggregation, with the notable exception of multi-homed *TRANSIT CUSTOMERS* announcing routes via BGP. Suggesting providers not accept prefixes which violates both my personal views and standard Internet doctrine is not something Alex told me to do.

In fact, I applaud his discretion for not even mentioning the prefix, customer, AS, or anything else which would even HINT that he would violate the court order. In fact, I have suggested that he not do so here in this forum, and Alex has posted language from the TRO stating he is barred from doing so.

IOW: This is simply another _operational_ suggestion to help make the Internet run more smoothly.

--
TTFN,
patrick