Re: Can a Customer take their IP's with them? (Court says yes!)

  • From: Randy Bush
  • Date: Tue Jun 29 09:22:38 2004

>> Regardless, this is not a telephony issue ("Can I take my cell
>> number with me?"), as the courts as seem disposed to diagnose
>> these days, but rather, a technical one insofar as the IP routing
>> table efficiency.
> No, this is not about taking a phone number.  This is about a someone
> moving to a new apartment in a different part of town, and asking the
> court to force the owner of the old house to reassign the old street
> address to him.

[ hey johnny!  long time no see.  will you be at nordnog?
  if so, i will press even harder to go.

or, if they wish to keep the phone analogy, it needs to be
made clear to the relevant court that the phone number is
analogous to the domain name, and the ip space is analogous
to the actual coding in the switches.

the question would seem to be one of who/how best to educate
the court.  their issuing a tro when they are not sure makes
some sense.

randy