Re: Can a Customer take their IP's with them? (Court says yes!)

  • From: Stephen J. Wilcox
  • Date: Tue Jun 29 06:06:12 2004

Can we stop the analogies before they begin.

This is not the PSTN, comparing it to the PSTN appears to be where the court is
going wrong. This is the Internet.

It is internationally accepted policy that IP space is issued under a kind of
license that does not give ownership or transferability. It is also part of the
fundemental operation of the Internet that address space remains aggregated and
that customers borrow space from the provider and if they move they get given
new address space by the new provider. This is agreed by IANA, the RIRs, the
ISPs.

Steve