Re: Can a Customer take their IP's with them? (Court says yes!)

  • From: Patrick W Gilmore
  • Date: Tue Jun 29 01:11:35 2004

On Jun 29, 2004, at 12:48 AM, Michel Py wrote:

In short: drop the monkey on ARIN's back. The issue that non-portable
blocks are indeed non-portable is ARIN's to deal with, and partly why we
are giving money to them.
I wonder why ARIN, or even more importantly, ICANN has not jumped all over this. Seems to me if IP space is not "owned" or something close to it by ICANN, they have lost a cornerstone of their power.

b) _do_ announce the specific block routed to null0 (ARIN has delegated
this space to you, if you want to announce unallocated parts of it to a
blackhole it's nobody's business to tell you that you can't).
DO NOT DO THIS. The TRO specifically prohibits him from doing these types of things. Breaking the TRO will have immediate and detrimental impact on Alex and NAC.Net.

c) Ask your upstream to do b) explaining why, they might understand.
Not sure if asking someone to violate provisions of a TRO you cannot do yourself would qualify for contempt of court, but I would not risk it.

OTOH, nothing says ISPs cannot do as they please with their own routers (and not because Alex or NAC.Net asked them to). See my previous post re: liquor & the next NANOG....

d) Contact people that blacklist blocks and get it blacklisted there.
See above.

e) Counter-sue the customer for frivolous lawsuit and anything else you
can find.
Might be a waste of effort.  Might not.  Don't know all the details.

--
TTFN,
patrick