Re: BGP list of phishing sites?

  • From: Simon Lockhart
  • Date: Mon Jun 28 17:22:17 2004

On Mon Jun 28, 2004 at 03:12:12PM -0600, Smith, Donald wrote:
> So would ISP's block an phishing site if it was proven
> to be a phishing site and reported by their customers?

Would you block access to a kiddie porn site? Do you block access to "warez"
sites? Both are illegal. I'm not convinced that phishing is illegal in its own
right (except possible as "passing off").

Phishing sites only work because Banks won't invest in strong authentication,
and users are stupid. Why should it become the ISPs problem to fix those
inadequacies?

Some banks in Europe use one-time-password token things (such as SecurID). Are
those banks being caught out by phishing?

Simon
--
Simon Lockhart     |   Tel: +44 (0)1628 407720 (x(01)37720) | Si fractum
Technology Manager |   Fax: +44 (0)1628 407701 (x(01)37701) | non sit, noli