The use of .0/.255 addresses.

  • From: Jonathan McDowell
  • Date: Sat Jun 26 19:36:13 2004

Have just spent some time trying to track down what seemed to be an
elusive problem, I thought I'd mention it here.

I've had problems accessing www.level3.net, www.ebay.co.uk and
www.dabs.com (and a few others I don't recall). As I'm the first user of
a reasonably new netblock I thought it might be something to do with
filters on our upstreams or similar. Trying an IP from our older
netblock worked without problems, which seemed to back this up.

However eventually I tracked it down to the use of the .0 address from
the new netblock; changing to use the .1 address meant I could access
the above sites without any difficulty.

Various people I've asked about this have said they wouldn't use the .0
or .255 addresses themselves, though couldn't present any concrete info
about why not; my experience above would seem to suggest a reason not to
use them.

J.

--
/-\                             |   This is not a daffodil! This is
|@/  Debian GNU/Linux Developer |           not a daffodil!