Re: Attn MCI/UUNet - Massive abuse from your network

  • From: Jeff Shultz
  • Date: Fri Jun 25 11:49:47 2004

Has anyone noticed that the DHS plan is probably closer to the current
status of things than the FCC one is?

AFAIK, Currently this information _isn't_ required to be publicly
reported. The FCC wants it to be.

DHS would prefer that it be semi-public at best - just like Michael
Dillion wants.

Three options:
1. Status quo - no gov't reporting requirements
2. FCC proposal - completely public reporting requirements
3. DHS proposal - limited access reporting requirements

Food for thought: Could an analyst, looking at outage reports over a
period of time, build a schematic that would demonstrate that if you
took out  n points, you'd kill x% of data traffic in and out of
$pickyourmetropolitanarea?

If this analyst were working for Bin Ladin....

Some ad hoc terrorists, in a country crawling with US troops, with a
communications infrastructure nowhere as advanced as the USA just
managed to coordinate a multiple bomb attack simultaneously.

What could they do here with the right information?

Should we hand them this information freely?

At least if someone in this "clearing house" sells it to the
terrorists, they will have had to work for it a bit, instead of having
us hand it to them on a silver platter, as the FCC seems to want.

Let the flames continue.

** Reply to message from Scott McGrath <[email protected]> on
Fri, 25 Jun 2004 11:22:51 -0400 (EDT)

--
Jeff Shultz
A railfan pulls up to a RR crossing hoping that