Re: Attn MCI/UUNet - Massive abuse from your network

  • From: Michael.Dillon
  • Date: Fri Jun 25 09:27:30 2004

> From the AOL theft article:
>  "The revelations come as AOL and other Internet providers have
> ramped up their efforts to track down the purveyors of spam, which
> has grown into a maddening scourge that costs consumers and
> businesses billions of dollars a year."

Interesting. An insider at a network operator steals
a copy of some interesting operational data and sells
it to a 3rd party with an interest in doing nasty things
with said data.

And if Homeland Security really does require all outages
to be reported to a clearing house where only network
operations insiders can get access to it, then what?
Will someone sell this to a terrorist organization?

Better to leave all this information semi-public as
it is now so that we all know it is NOT acceptable
to build insecure infrastructure or to leave infrastructure
in an insecure state. Fear of a terrorist attack is
a much stronger motive for doing the right thing
than a government order to file secret reports to
a secret bureaucratic agency.

--Michael Dillon