RE: Attn MCI/UUNet - Massive abuse from your network

  • From: Smith, Donald
  • Date: Thu Jun 24 23:41:28 2004

I am not a lawyer. I am not aware of the law that requires uunet to
go to court to prevent spammers who are not their direct customers from using their network. Spammers use many differnt means to send their spam. Most ISPs use AUP's to prevent spamming but afaik no isp has successfully sued a spammer and recovered any reasonable percentage of their expenses in fighting this same spam. When that becomes a method to pay for combating spam I am sure most ISPs will pursue it. This is a money issue.

NSP/ISP have shareholders who desire a return on their investment.

When I notify the abuse team at uunet of a spammer they act promptly shutting down any account that I can show is being used for spam.

Chris is a very trusted and active member of the NSP community, to his credit is a detailed document on blackhole filtering one of the primary tools used by other NSP/ISP's for stopping bad traffic. AFAIK he can not authorize legal action against spammers.

[email protected] my opinions are mine and do not reflect qwest policy.