RE: Unplugging spamming PCs

  • From: Joe Shen
  • Date: Thu Jun 24 21:38:58 2004

Hi,

>Mail servers should be registered just like domains and shutdown by a
>registrar if they are misusing their registered services. This really
>needs to be handled by a multi-lateral legal solution, industry will not
>fix it alone.

No, I don't think this is good solution

First of all, we could not ask customers to register everything they planned with leased line without legal reasons.
Second,  if I hire DSL/leased_line service  from ISP and set up domain name for myself,  ISP could not ask me to
tell them which port should be opened as I'm not taking a firewalling service, I'm not a member of my service provider.
I should be able to do anything that are not perhibited by law or affact someothers.

 Blocking_port_25 indicates  ISP  pre-assume that customers  will SPAM their network.  But, SPAMmer is just a very small
group of people.  Maybe most of them comes from other countries ( what happens in China).

To me,  the proper way of anti-spam may ask cooperation between ISPs and Email service providers.  Anyway,
strengthening anti-spam ability in Email server is a must.

regards

Joe

Cool Things Happen When Mac Users Meet! Join the community in Boston this July: www.macworldexpo.com