SprintPCS spam policies

  • From: Bruce Robertson
  • Date: Thu Jun 24 16:59:24 2004

I just wanted to give everyone a heads-up on the antispam policies of
SprintPCS, so that you will know what to expect if you start getting blocked
by their mx.messaging.sprintpcs.com mail servers.

Background: One of our customers was infected by one of the viruses that spams
SprintPCS cell phones.  Naturally we were blocked when this occurred, which
is what I would expect.  Once we detected the problem, we suspended the
customer until they cleaned out the virus.

Here's what we discovered from this:

When you are blocked by SprintPCS, they simply disconnect the SMTP connection
without an error of any kind.

They provide no way to contact them on this.  We had to have our Sprint
Internet sales person find out who to contact.  It would have been very
helpful if there was contact information displayed on an SMTP banner before
disconnecting.

When a clueful person finally called me a week later, I was treated with
suspicion.  It was clear that he didn't believe me when I said a customer was
infected by a virus, even though the existence of virii that have that behavior
is clear with a quick Google search.  He clearly considered me to be a
spammer, rather than a responsible ISP.

The SprintPCS person finally agreed to remove the block for my network, with
the exception of the one mail server that my customer was using.  He utterly
refused to remove the block for that server, in spite of the fact that it
hasn't sent them any spam for a week.

This leaves me having to explain to my customers sending legitimate text
pages why their email bounces occasionally.

It also is ineffective, because I can easily change the IP address of the
mail server they're blocking.

If anyone has similar experience, I hope you fare better.

--
Bruce Robertson, President/CEO				     +1-775-348-7299
Great Basin Internet Services, Inc.			fax: +1-775-348-9412