RE: Homeland Security now wants to restrict outage notifications

  • From: Scott McGrath
  • Date: Thu Jun 24 14:11:09 2004

I did read the article and having worked for gov't agencies twice in my
career a proposal like the one floated by DHS is just the camel's nose.

I should hope the carriers oppose this.

Now a call comes into our ops center "I cant reach my experiment at
Stanford".  Ops looks up the outages Oh yeah there's a fiber cut affecting
service we will let you know when it's fixed.   They check it's fixed they
call the customer telling them to try it now.

Under the proposed regime "We know its dead do not know why or when it
will be fixed because it' classified information"  This makes for
absolutely wonderful customer service and it protects public safety how?.

                            Scott C. McGrath