RE: Unplugging spamming PCs

  • From: Larry Pingree
  • Date: Wed Jun 23 19:44:03 2004

Hi Peter,
I agree with you it's a hard problem to solve. But unless there is
mandatory cooperation within mail server software (which can be
monitored) to interface with a registry of acceptable/registered sites,
then this model could work. Is it perfect, no. And so far, I've not seen
any technology that will solve this problem. So I default and say it's a
problem that must be solved with agreements between countries that can
provide registries that all (valid) mail servers must register. Then at
least our spammer enforcement is dwindled down to those who go through
some sort of process, that can be validated physically, i.e. Address,
Company name, etc, etc... And then enforcement can be done only to those
who misbehave that are validated and authenticated.

Can you suggest another method that would have more accuracy? I think
it's ridiculous that every service on the internet is provided without
any authentication and integrity services, if we allowed anyone to call
from anywhere within the telephone network, you'd have rampant
falsification, which is what we have today.

LP

Best Regards,

Larry

Larry Pingree

"Visionary people, are visionary, partly because of the great many
things they never get to see." - Larry Pingree