Re: Unplugging spamming PCs

  • From: Paul Vixie
  • Date: Wed Jun 23 15:22:07 2004

warning.  this is about spamming pc's.  hit D now.

> [comcast] [is] definitely not taking the "hard line against spam" either,
> but at least they are making an effort.

sure, if you mean their marketing department is making an effort to insulate
their sales department from decreasing revenue by taking a hard line against
spam, and to insulate their eng/ops from increasing costs by taking a hard
line against spam.

this group of vendors wants to stamp out what they call "wild spam" in order
to make the world safe for pink contracts and what we call "mainsleaze spam".

as long as it doesn't increase their costs or decrease their revenues that is.

yahoo domainkeys and microsoft callerid are wonderful technologies if you
care about preventing the yahoo and microsoft domain/trademark names from
being diluted by spammers.  but even at full implementation, the only impact
will be to protect domainholders against sender-forgery, at which point the
spammers will have to use real domain names they get from .biz at $5 each,
and the total spam sent continue to rise month by month.

and what a marketing triumph THAT will be.
--
Paul Vixie