Re: Unplugging spamming PCs

  • From: Sam Hayes Merritt, III
  • Date: Wed Jun 23 13:09:51 2004

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004, Brett wrote:

> At least they now realize they are one of the worst and are finally
> becoming proactive:
>
> http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104-5230615.html
>
> They are also starting to block port 25.

That is still reactive (first the abuse has to occur, then you try and
filter anymore from occuring), at least they might be now be doing
something that everyone else has been doing for years.

So far today we've only blocked 3381 attempts from dynamic comcast.net
space to send email to our users.

Proactive would be blocking port 25 except to comcast.net's mail servers,
at least on retail users without static IPs, and then opening it up if
the customer cannot work around it by using comcast's mail server to send
out. Thats what responsible ISPs have done.

sam