Re: Can a customer take IP's with them?

  • From: David A.Ulevitch
  • Date: Wed Jun 23 02:28:19 2004

On Jun 22, 2004, at 11:10 PM, Christopher J. Wolff wrote:

David,

Isn't renumbering an obligation?
I am not sure however RFC 2071 Touches on this subject in section 4.2.3 but is ambiguous as to the nature of when the renumber should take place.

4.2.3 Change of Internet Service Provider

As mentioned previously in Section 2, it is increasingly becoming
current practice for organizations to have their IP addresses
allocated by their upstream ISP. Also, with the advent of Classless
Inter Domain Routing (CIDR) [11], and the considerable growth in the
size of the global Internet table, Internet Service Providers are
becoming more and more reluctant to allow customers to continue using
addresses which were allocated by the ISP, when the customer
terminates service and moves to another ISP.
[SNIP]
For obvious reasons, this practice is highly discouraged by
ISP's with CIDR blocks, and some ISP's are making this a contractual
issue, so that customers understand that addresses allocated by the
ISP are non-portable.
[SNIP]
It should also be noted that (contrary to opinions sometimes voiced)
this form of renumbering is a technically necessary consequence of
changing ISP's, rather than a commercial or political mandate.

In my opinion, which counts for nothing in this case, I would hope that 12 months was enough time for the company to renumber. Unless this decision to terminate services with NAC was 'just made' I think that space from ARIN 12 months ago was a heads up that their non-portable space should be eliminated from their network.

Just my $.02 with some RFCs tossed in,
davidu

David A. Ulevitch - Founder, EveryDNS.Net
http://david.ulevitch.com -- http://everydns.net