Re: real-time DDoS help?

  • From: Tim Brown
  • Date: Tue Jun 22 16:07:01 2004

    Matthew> Why would you need to re-invent the wheel?

    Matthew> There are multiple EFNET servers run by Nanog members
    Matthew> including: irc.servercentral.net irc.nac.net
    Matthew> irc.easynews.com irc.he.net

    Matthew> To name a few.

    Matthew> #nanog

It is important to emphasize a couple of things, now that the topic
has come up.

First and foremost, the #nanog IRC channel has absolutely nothing to
do with the nanog mailing list, other than it shares some common
personalities.  Operational discussion is rarely experienced, the most
often-experienced relevant question is "how do I configure BGP", and
you can guess how that makes engineers who are on the channel feel
about answering questions.  I recommend that those who see this
channel mentioned on the mailing list ignore it as if it does not
exist - because it does not for purposes of operational talk (although
it may be useful for the occasional drop-in "does anyone here work for
X?").

Secondly and perhaps most notably, IRC is in no way, shape, or form a
protocol or communications method one would describe as resilient or
operationally relevant.  Neither are the instant messaging networks or
Jabber servers.  IRC does not meet the "needs" of operators.
Describing these needs is a separate topic and probably not
appropriate for this mailing list, even though you could describe the
topic as operationally relevant.

The operations community is, unfortunately, not conveniently
segregated into backbone operators, regional/tier operators, and small
operators.  What this means is that, with the lack of hierarchy, an
operations staff member at UUNET/MCI, for instance, may not view it as
high on his/her list of priorities to handle a complaint from your
local engineer at an apartment complex that provides broadband access.
My point here is that the needs are different in each individual
"operational sphere", and there is no real shared survival instinct
instilled among operations houses, although I like to think that
generally operators are nice folks and will do what they can.

I (for one) tend to think that the operations community needs a little
more structure attached to it.  There are efforts (as Jared mentions)
to help with the interchange of information among providers, and
others (myself included) are working on additional operational
problems at length.  Until these issues are identified, rationalized,
and discussed, the idea of a solid operational communications
framework is a long way off, though I tend to think that INOC-DBA,
INCH, and the other efforts out there probably serve the intermediate
need without handling future requirements.  Technical matters aside, a
code of conduct among operators (speaking in the corporate sense)
would go a long way, but as we have seen evidenced in the past couple
of years (and to some degree rightfully so), corporations will
abdicate from your view of morality when confronted with their view of
the bottom fiscal line.

To summarize, I'd have to say that the best recommendation for the
interim operational communications are SILC servers run by major
backbone players with dedicated personnel responsible for
communicating between providers.  That being said, nsp-sec already
fulfills this goal, and as Tim Battles once mentioned to me at Chicago
NOG, the real challenge of operational security and communication is
already handled by the address book and the cellular telephone.

Tim