Re: S.2281 Hearing (was: Justice Dept: Wiretaps...)

  • From: Pete Schroebel
  • Date: Mon Jun 21 16:50:30 2004

> >  They, "the DOJ" is just trying to do it's job, as they are under the
> > microscope due to the fumbles that led to the compromises by an
obviously
> > inept predecessor. Now, they are tighten the screws on everything from
> > telecoms to bank accounts;  to prevent another round of fumbled
information
> > resulting in a preventable issue going unchecked.
>
> If you mean the 'misplaced' information surrounding the 9/11 hijackers,
> I'm not sure any amount of wiretapping/snooping would have ever changed
> the situation. The problem was more related to, according to news reports
> and senate (house?) hearings/testimony, miscommunications inside each of
> the parts of the DoJ/CIA/NSA. All the wiretapping in the world wont get
> information passed correctly inside these organizations.
>
> Smoke screen efforts are less helpful and are simple diversions from the
> reality of the problem.

I disagree, as there are listening stations in almost every language that
have been very useful; I've seen them, built them some over the years and
watched others start-up, . The DOJ needs to be able to do the same with the
voip/networks/internet and soon intranet. A few of the major ISP's / Mail
Houses already have special contracts running Kenan's SQL over the mail
archives before they are expunged. I imagine that issue will soon apply to
us all here in the US. You are correct that there is nothing that is going
to make a government  organizations work or actually do their job; with
exception of obtaining yet another holiday.

-Peter