Re: S.2281 Hearing (was: Justice Dept: Wiretaps...)

  • From: Pete Schroebel
  • Date: Mon Jun 21 14:51:11 2004

> > I think the only advantage to DOJ working this hard on LI capabilities
is that
> >it may raise public awareness of the issue, and, may help get better
cryptographic
> >technologies more widely deployed sooner.  Other than that, I think it's
just a lose
> >all the way around.
>
> I'm not advocating the DoJ's position on this matter, just trying to
> clarify it for the list (since it was rather muddled in earlier postings).
>
> /John

 They, "the DOJ" is just trying to do it's job, as they are under the
microscope due to the fumbles that led to the compromises by an obviously
inept predecessor. Now, they are tighten the screws on everything from
telecoms to bank accounts;  to prevent another round of fumbled information
resulting in a preventable issue going unchecked.

I don't like all of the hoops either but, nothing we do or say is going to
change their minds or their course of action.

-Peter