Interesting Occurrence

  • From: Brent_OKeeffe
  • Date: Mon Jun 21 13:49:50 2004

Okay... Here is a new one for me.  Got a call from my dad saying he left his PC on last night connected to his broadband.  He went to log in this morning and noticed a new ID in his user list - IWAP_WWW.  He immediately deleted is and called me.  I had him ensure his critical updates we all applied - they were.  I had him ensure his antivirus was up to date - it was (Norton Antivirus 2004).  He is running XP Home.

I searched the antivirus sites and elsewhere for references.  Any idea if there is a new vulnerability that has not been publicly released?  Any clues?

Regards,
Brent