RE: [Fwd: [IP] Feds: VoIP a potential haven for terrorists]

  • From: Hannigan, Martin
  • Date: Sat Jun 19 17:58:18 2004

It's not just a funding bill. It provided $500MM for carrier network
upgrades and for switch software compliance. That fund has been exhausted
from what I have been told. It also clearly defined technical expectations
that carriers and manufacturers have to live up to.

All that being CALEA compliant means is that you are capable, as required,
to provide service to a legal order i.e. pin register, trap, trace, DTMF
extration, flash hook operations ala three way calling, CALLER ID, and
voice intercept. There's no "secret sauce" to CALEA.

CALEA doesn't expand LEA's authority, it puts them on an even
playing field with suspected criminals with regards to access.

-M

--
Martin Hannigan                         (c) 617-388-2663
VeriSign, Inc.                          (w) 703-948-7018