Re: [Fwd: [IP] Feds: VoIP a potential haven for terrorists]

  • From: Scott Francis
  • Date: Fri Jun 18 23:42:49 2004

On Fri, Jun 18, 2004 at 08:25:15PM -0700, [email protected] said:
> > they don't need more surveillance capabilities as much as they need to
> > better utilize what they've already got. More laws aren't the answer to
> > lack of success enforcing what's already on the books.
>
> We should not be building surveillance technology into standards.  Law
> enforcement was not supposed to be easy.  Where it is easy, it's called
> a police state.  -- Jeff Schiller

"It is poor civic hygiene to install technologies that could someday
facilitate a police state." -- Bruce Schneier

Amen on both counts; couldn't agree with either quote more.
--
       Scott Francis | darkuncle(at)darkuncle(dot)net | 0x5537F527
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill