Re: [Fwd: [IP] Feds: VoIP a potential haven for terrorists]

  • From: Scott Francis
  • Date: Fri Jun 18 23:09:31 2004

On Fri, Jun 18, 2004 at 12:41:45PM -0700, [email protected] said:

> ** Reply to message from Scott Weeks <[email protected]> on Fri,
> 18 Jun 2004 09:30:03 -1000 (HST)
>
> > On Fri, 18 Jun 2004, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:
> >
> > : Feds: VoIP a potential haven for terrorists
> > : By  Declan McCullagh
> >
> > : The Senate's action comes as the FCC considers a request submitted in
> > : March by the FBI. If the request is approved, all broadband Internet
> > : providers--including companies using cable and digital subscriber line
> > : technology--will be required to rewire their networks to support easy
> > : wiretapping by police.
> >

> > Anyone know yet if they've they said who would have to pay for it, and
> > what they specifically mean by "broadband Internet providers"?
> >
> > scott
>
> Pay for it? If I remember from CALEA, the providers pay for it (and
> eventually their customers), and as for "broadband Internet
> providers"... I'm guessing anyone who offers end user customers a
> circuit bigger than 53.333k.
>
> I admit to having some sympathy for the FBI... they're in the middle of
> getting ripped up, down and sideways over failures over Sept 11 and
> other things, and yet when they ask for more surveilance capabilities,
> they get ripped up, down and sideways for asking...

they don't need more surveillance capabilities as much as they need to better
utilize what they've already got. More laws aren't the answer to lack of
success enforcing what's already on the books.
--
       Scott Francis | darkuncle(at)darkuncle(dot)net | 0x5537F527
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill