Re: [Fwd: [IP] Feds: VoIP a potential haven for terrorists]

  • From: Christopher L. Morrow
  • Date: Fri Jun 18 18:41:06 2004

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004, Stephen Sprunk wrote:

> Tapping a SONET or Ethernet link isn't tough, and real-time decoding of
> packets up to OC12 speeds was doable on COTS PCs several years ago.  One US
> telco built such software specifically to comply with CALEA when the FBI
> inevitably woke up; it could reassemble selected RTP streams (in real time)
> and even play them on a POTS line running to an FBI monitoring post.  I'd
> assume that OC48/GE isn't much of a stretch today and that OC192/10GE is
> feasible with the FBI's funding levels.  It'd certainly be easier to tap the
> customer's access line, but typical DSL/Cable gear may not have such
> provisions...

The real trouble with this scenario is the required truck roll and outage
on the link toward the customer... This gets expensive if you have to roll
to 10-20/month all over your domestic network. Today that is accomplished
on the phone side with builtin 'stuff' on the phone switches (as I recall
being told by some phone people) without a truck roll and without much
hassle. :(

Figuring out the difference between all the forms of 'VOIP' communications
will be a headache for the govies and lawyers... just look at the minor
inconveniences of CARNIVORE, eh?

> One thing is very clear, however; if the industry doesn't come up with a
> working solution first, we will certainly have something unworkable shoved
> down our throats by Congress, the FCC, and the FBI.

Sure, but to date we are still awaiting good/complete requirements from
the gov't so it's a little tough to determine what is 'required' in a
solution such that data can be tapped and then appear in court in some
form which is unimpeachable.

-Chris