Re: [Fwd: [IP] Feds: VoIP a potential haven for terrorists]

  • From: Stephen Sprunk
  • Date: Fri Jun 18 17:42:26 2004

Thus spake "Daniel Golding" <[email protected]>
> The amount of money the FBI would need to spend to tap a VoIP call is
> highest with the first option, intermediate with the second, and lowest
with
> the last. Some services companies are really salivating for the chance to
> add CALEA hardware to VoIP networks. I won't mention any particular
> companies here, as they have taken a recent beating on this list. Piling
on
> seems rather cruel.

I'm told that most CALEA warrants only authorize a pen register, not an
actual tap.  Pen registers are trivial to implement, since the provider's
software undoubtedly has an option to produce CDRs for billing or planning
purposes.  Unfortunately this doesn't cover the case of purely P2P calls
which don't have a VoIP provider; if the suspect is using such software, the
only way to produce a pen register is with a tap.

AFAIK, one of the provisions of CALEA warrants is that the provider can't
tell the customer their line is being tapped.  The most straightforward VoIP
intercept method requires routing the call through an intercept device or
bridging unit, which is detectable and hus probably counts as disclosure.
Since VoIP packets are routed just like any others, the only workable
solution I see is to provide for tapping of all IP links and (by law)
require the FBI drop all traffic except what they've got a warrant for.

Tapping a SONET or Ethernet link isn't tough, and real-time decoding of
packets up to OC12 speeds was doable on COTS PCs several years ago.  One US
telco built such software specifically to comply with CALEA when the FBI
inevitably woke up; it could reassemble selected RTP streams (in real time)
and even play them on a POTS line running to an FBI monitoring post.  I'd
assume that OC48/GE isn't much of a stretch today and that OC192/10GE is
feasible with the FBI's funding levels.  It'd certainly be easier to tap the
customer's access line, but typical DSL/Cable gear may not have such
provisions...

One thing is very clear, however; if the industry doesn't come up with a
working solution first, we will certainly have something unworkable shoved
down our throats by Congress, the FCC, and the FBI.

Stephen Sprunk      "Those people who think they know everything
CCIE #3723         are a great annoyance to those of us who do."
K5SSS                                             --Isaac Asimov