Re: [Fwd: [IP] Feds: VoIP a potential haven for terrorists]

  • From: Jeff Shultz
  • Date: Fri Jun 18 15:43:51 2004

** Reply to message from Scott Weeks <[email protected]> on Fri,
18 Jun 2004 09:30:03 -1000 (HST)

> On Fri, 18 Jun 2004, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:
>
> : Feds: VoIP a potential haven for terrorists
> : By  Declan McCullagh
>
> : The Senate's action comes as the FCC considers a request submitted in
> : March by the FBI. If the request is approved, all broadband Internet
> : providers--including companies using cable and digital subscriber line
> : technology--will be required to rewire their networks to support easy
> : wiretapping by police.
>

> Anyone know yet if they've they said who would have to pay for it, and
> what they specifically mean by "broadband Internet providers"?
>
> scott

Pay for it? If I remember from CALEA, the providers pay for it (and
eventually their customers), and as for "broadband Internet
providers"... I'm guessing anyone who offers end user customers a
circuit bigger than 53.333k.

I admit to having some sympathy for the FBI... they're in the middle of
getting ripped up, down and sideways over failures over Sept 11 and
other things, and yet when they ask for more surveilance capabilities,
they get ripped up, down and sideways for asking...

--
Jeff Shultz
A railfan pulls up to a RR crossing hoping that