Re: Verisign vs. ICANN

  • From: Paul Vixie
  • Date: Fri Jun 18 12:46:55 2004

> PV>         Paul Vixie is an existing provider of competitive services for
> PV>         registry operations, including providing TLD domain name hosting
> PV>         services for ccTLDs and gTLDs, and a competitor of VeriSign for
> PV>         new registry operations.  [...]
>
> I'm missing something.  By what stretch of whose imagination does
> root nameserver operations compete with a registrar?

i think they mean ns-ext.isc.org (or its old name, ns-ext.vix.com), which
offers "TLD hosting" without fee to about 60 domains:

   % awk '/^zone/ { print $2 }' slave_tld.zones | sed 's/"//g' | fmt
   ac ae ao bg br com.br ca cd cl cz cv gov.fj fr hn hr io il ac.il co.il
   gov.il k12.il muni.il net.il org.il in co.in ernet.in org.in ac.in
   res.in gov.in mil.in net.in firm.in gen.in ind.in is museum md na com.na
   nl np com.np edu.np org.np mil.np net.np gov.np nr biz.nr com.nr edu.nr
   gov.nr info.nr net.nr org.nr pt ro sh tm za si sk co.zw aq pn ug

if it's not that, then perhaps they're just smoking crack.

(note for TLD folks... we're trying to collect the whole set, we're missing
the last 200 or so, give us a call, tsig preferred.)
--
Paul Vixie