Re: akamaie dns issue

  • From: David A.Ulevitch
  • Date: Thu Jun 17 09:35:12 2004

On Jun 17, 2004, at 5:52 AM, Curtis Maurand wrote:

This was in my mail this am. This is why there was an akamai dns issue.
Shouldn't someone like CAIDA be able to verify these claims? (They look at more than backscatter, right?)

I feel like something of this magnitude could have been noticed. Is it possible that the attack was sophisticated enough that it was a DDoS that was "just" big enough to do the job but small enough to get lost in the ebb and flow of normal traffic? If so, that'd be quite a feat.

I'm sure CAIDA or other groups are going over their datasets to see if there is anything anomalous. I'm looking forward to a third-party report.

thanks,
davidu

David A. Ulevitch - Founder, EveryDNS.Net
http://david.ulevitch.com -- http://everydns.net