Re: "Default" Internet Service

  • From: Owen DeLong
  • Date: Mon Jun 14 19:35:34 2004

--On Monday, June 14, 2004 17:57 -0500 Adi Linden <[email protected]> wrote:

It's not crap.  Infected machines are no more the fault of the internet
than junkmail in your mailbox is the fault of the post office.  There's
literally no difference to the model.  The post office delivers mail
that is addressed to you.  They don't care if it's junk mail or not.
They deliver it.
So what about little envelopes with white powder? Does the post office
still have an obligation to deliver it or should they be concerned about
the welfare of their customers? Perhaps they should insist that customers
are properly vaccinated....

That depends... Is it an envelope covered in suspicious white powder,
or, is it a well sealed envelope that happens to contain a plastic
baggy of white powder?  If it's the former, then, there is obvious
reason, and, this would be equivalent to a malformed IP datagram,
which most (all) ISPs will drop.  If it's the latter, then, the
post office has no legitimate way to know that the envelope contains
white powder, nor, does it know what the white powder is.  Also,
the primary reason/responsibility the post office has in not delivering
the white powder on the outside of the envelope is to protect postal
employees.  Secondarily, the mail may come into contact with other
than it's intended target.  The post office does not, in my opinion,
have an obligation to protect you from mail properly addressed to you.

Point I am making is that the post office is not responsible and/or
liable  for the content of the packages they deliver. However, if they
deliver  packages that are obviously visibly dangerous to the recipient
they have  an obligation to investigate and not deliver the package.

Actually, there is some debate about that.  However, there are also
strong boundaries on that.  The obligation you speak of applies to
things that endanger human life.  If you send a diskette mailer to
someone with the label "Diskette inside contains live computer virus",
I bet the post office will probably deliver it.  That's every bit
as harmful as the packets you're complaining about the ISPs delivering.

Most residential ISPs get paid the same whether the customer spews
abuse or not.  Their costs go up some when they get abuse complaints
and when abuse starts using more bandwidth, so, for the most part, most
residential ISPs have no incentive to support abuse, but, not enough
incentive to pay to staff an abuse department sufficiently to be truly
responsive.  Further, most abuse departments don't get enough support
from management when the sales and marketing departments come whining
about how much revenue that abusing customer produces each month.
This is one of the unfortunate realities of a free-market economy.  It
doesn't always tie profit to doing the right thing, and, it favors
short-term thinking over long-term planning.
Who do you suppose pays for the abuse department staff? Those are
operational costs passed on to all customers. If increasing abuse results
in increasing staff, hopefully eventually, these cost will most likely be
passed on to all customer. It would be nice to see per incident billing
so  only offenders and repeat offenders pay. I doubt that'll happen (just
a  gut feeling, no other justification).

Right... that's why I support the "abuser pays" model of charging cleanup
fees for users that get infected.  That's what I'd like to see too.
Arguing for ISPs to filter customers arbitrarily, distracts from this.

Owen