Re: Points on your Internet driver's license (was RE: Even you can be

  • From: George Roettger
  • Date: Mon Jun 14 11:55:57 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Adi Linden" <[email protected]>

> Clean internet is more than just valid IP datagrams to my IP address. If I
> connect to my ISP and do nothing beyond that, not a single packet, I
> expect to not receive any packets either. If I initiate a GET request to a
> web server I expect the webservers response to be returned unaltered. If I
> have an email account with my ISP I expect only valid email to be
> delivered to my email address. I consider this clean internet service from
> the perspective of the average home user.

Apply your phone analogy to this, you want a phone, but nobody on the planet
should be allowed to call you unless you call them first. If you do call
someone, they shouldn't be allowed to use improper language, if you also
have voicemail, nobody who you don't want to hear from should be allowed to
leave you a message.

So you want the phoneco to block inbound calls, install a voice recognition
system to stop improper language, and manage your voicemail. You don't want
phone service, you want a secretary. You should call your phone company and
have them send one over right away, and don't forget to tell them you aren't
going to pay more than the standard $30/month for the service..

George Roettger