Re: "Default" Internet Service (was: Re: Points on your Internet

  • From: Rob Nelson
  • Date: Sun Jun 13 18:11:51 2004

: now, though, there's an opportunity to do a marketing U-turn on this. cable
: and dsl providers in the USA can point to the national cybersecurity plan and
: say that to comply with it they have to put infected computers in cyberjail,
: with a fee of $N to get these machines audited, and if found clean, put back
: on the net, noting that N doubles every time this process is invoked, and
: that a deposit of $(0.5*N) is required as prepayment for the next incident,
: refundable after one year if there are no further incidents. then offer to
: remotely manage their host ("give me your root passwords, trust me!") for an
: annual fee of $(0.75*N). if the initial value of N were $500, you might be
: able to get the people who need this service to pay for it. it's worth a
try?
: --
: Paul Vixie
:

If I read Paul's post correctly, then I would have to agree that the costs of
cleaning up the problem customers should be placed on the customer (miscreant)
as opposed to the rest of us. This would be far more preferable than putting
in place controls by the respective ISP that would limit my own use of my
connection, on which I have spent considerable time, money and education to
make sure it is secure and beyond that, compliant with the ISP Acceptable Use
policies.
Yes, but then you have another problem. I get a virus - whoops, attached a laptop without thinking. I clean it up myself, cause I'm feeling so retarded for getting the virus that I damn well ain't sharing that with anyone. In the meantime, the ISP noticed the virus and put a block on.

Do I have to pay them $500 to get it removed? Definitely cheaper to cancel service and go with someone else at that point.

Rob Nelson
[email protected]