QOD: Which is worse - Spam or Attacks?

  • From: Pete
  • Date: Sun Jun 13 14:56:10 2004

a.>Spam is a relative issue that consumes a fixed percentage of everyone's time. [ DONE ]

b.> Ddos, Syn, Udp and Ack Attacks are limitless and ever consuming, there is no sure fix without blocking and even then the blocking must be additionally carried up the upstream or peers.

What makes matters worse is that ISP's such as SBC don't publish their NOC's telephone number, due to anti spam complaints. Yet, one of their clients can be infected with the pound-it-up-your-ass worm and whipping up a wicked Ddos Attack on anyone within the same class "a" and their subsequent peers. You' will have to send the SBC NOC a Fax!. And if they feel like it, they will call you back?

I hosting many bulk websites over the years, but at all times our contact information was correct and we answered the telephone. Granted, I may have been impolite to some folks but, I did shutdown sites upon request too. We did not tolerate anyone that used invalid information and tossed them out just as soon as we found them or were notified of the problem.

So, I put these question on the floor . . .

How is it that a small web-hosting ISP can be condemned for not handling their clientele as spammers. On the otherhand the "fat-dog" ISP's can blantantly state that they deny access and using misleading information are not held to the same standards. And in-fact are not even using any port filtering to prevent their clients from infecting the world?