Re: "Default" Internet Service (was: Re: Points on your Internetdriver's license)

  • From: Owen DeLong
  • Date: Sun Jun 13 12:35:49 2004

Sean... Bigger and more important questions than "How do you make sure your
users only access safe content?" are:

	1.	Should you?
		It is very hard for me to distinguish this from censorship
		in my mind.  No, I'm not saying malware doesn't violate
		community standards of decency.  However, so do obscene
		phone calls.  TPC is not expected to block all obscene
		phone calls.  They are expected to assist in the investigation
		and termination of repeated abuse.  I think ISPs should
		be held to that same standard.  Anything more treads
		a slippery slope.

	2.	Who defines "safe" content?
		Is porn safe?  Is <freeapp> (with it's well known spyware
		and other adjuncts) safe?  Is <peertopeer> safe, with it's
		well known tendency to support copyright infringement?
		Is the web safe, given the various malware activex components,
		javascript bugs in browsers, etc.?  I like deciding for my
		self what risks I will take.  I really don't want my ISP
		making those choices for me.

Owen