Re: Points on your Internet driver's license

  • From: John Curran
  • Date: Sun Jun 13 12:32:12 2004

At 9:02 AM -0700 6/13/04, Owen DeLong wrote:

>600A three phase is about bigger bandwidth, not different services.  True,
>there are devices that require three phase power, but, if they don't require
>more power than is available in a 200A 220V services, guess what, they can
>be run off of household service by using a transformer to convert the household
>service to 3phase and handle the voltage conversion as well.  A transformer
>is a simple, and, generally inexpensive device which the user could even
>make themselves if they so desired (although I don't recommend this).
>
>To continue the analogy, 200A 220V household service is like DSL or Cable.
>600A 208V three phase is like a T1.  2000A 7KV three phase is like a DS3.
>To the best of my knowledge, all of these services can be made to work
>with any electrical device that doesn't require more power (bandwidth)
>than the service can deliver.

In most states, the power company cannot connect service to a home
or business until it has been inspected by a building inspector...  This
is to keep the number of fried customers to the lower possible value.
And yes, it is possible to do your own power box work, but expect the
inspector to be very thorough if you aren't also a licensed electrician.

So, who's checking these local LAN's to make sure they don't melt or
burst into flame once hooked up?

/John