Re: "Default" Internet Service (was: Re: Points on your Internet driver's license)

  • From: Anthony Edwards
  • Date: Sun Jun 13 09:13:56 2004

On Sun, Jun 13, 2004 at 04:21:03AM +0000, Christopher L. Morrow wrote:

> We have methods of dealing with these abuse problems today, unfortanately
> as Paul Vixie often points out there are business reasons why these
> problems persist. Often the 'business' reason isn't the
> tin-foil-hat-brigade's reason so much as 'we can't afford to keep these
> abuse folks around since they don't make money for the company'.

One of the core skills required by an abuse desk person, and in
particular an abuse team manager, is an ability to evangelise to higher
management the business benefits of effective Acceptable Use Policy
enforcement.

For example, how many legitimate prospective customers does the
following:

   Found 187 SBL listings for IPs under the responsibility
   of mci.com

   Listings in yellow are known spam gangs with ROKSO records

http://www.spamhaus.org/sbl/listings.lasso

Cause to decide not to even consider you as a supplier of bandwidth
and/or hosting services?  When one also factors into the equation
the fact that spammers (of whatever type) tend historically to be
bad payers, it is not unlikely that your apparent business related
decision to provide safe haven to such folks is actually a cause of
net revenue loss, not gain.

--
Anthony Edwards              *     [email protected]
Abuse Team Manager           *     Easynet UK Abuse Team