Re: Points on your Internet driver's license (was RE: Even you can

  • From: Paul Vixie
  • Date: Sun Jun 13 02:11:37 2004

> If we give some people an option to opt-out, most grandmothers will
> probably follow Paul's example and save the few bucks every month and not
> use the security features.  Should ISPs charge for security like the
> Universial Service Fund fee on your telephone bill, everyone (not just
> grandmothers) has to pay it. The FCC (or your national equivalent) would
> sets the rate every quarter, and it appears on everyone's ISP bill. You
> have to pay it, even if you already have other security.

i like the plan i suggested in reply to jcurran better than the above plan.

however, i'm now seeing more spam from hosts in my private blackhole list,
that's fed by a darkspace IDS running on ports 25 and 80, than i am from
all of my "dynamic/dialup blackhole list" subscriptions combined.  so, if
an fcc-based universal tariff is the only way to get this done, i'm willing
to pay -- even though i own the routers on both ends of my home t1.
--
Paul Vixie