Re: Points on your Internet driver's license (was RE: Even you canbe

  • From: Petri Helenius
  • Date: Sat Jun 12 14:42:19 2004

Adi Linden wrote:

To compare this with the electricity company, the average home with a 200A

service is equivalent to NATed and firewalled internet bandwidth. As your electricity demands grow (for whatever reason) the electricity company upgrades your service, to 3 phase, 600V, whatever. Same with internet bandwidth, get a public ip, get a static ip, get ports opened, run servers. Just as the upgraded electricity service requires more knowledge and equipment so does the upgraded internet bandwidth.

If we would properly follow the analogy above, ISPs should provide a "security fuse" which would disconnect the user when blown. Paul called this "cyberjail" if I follow his thoughts. All efforts above this should be charged separately or be part of "better general level of service". You can also charge for letting people out of the jail. Make it $50 or $100 a pop, not to be outrageous but justifiable.

Pete