Re: AboveNet major backbone issues

  • From: Christopher L. Morrow
  • Date: Sat Jun 12 14:19:55 2004

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004, Randy Bush wrote:

> >> it might be interesting to know how you determined this and what
> >> are "major worldwide backbone issues" in the sense of how they are
> >> defined and measured.
> > Maybe they told him. :)
>
> damn.  and i really meant my question.  a lot of researchers
> are investing a lot of effort into recognizing and sizing
> major network problems from general/external evidence, e.g.
> route-views, traces, ippm measurements, ...

So, would RIPE's RIS project or some of the other route monitoring
projects have noticed this as well? What is a 'major backbone outage'
versus a peering link bounce from their perspective? Could they/should
they monitor and report to some 'central' place when these larger events
happen? What's the cutoff from 'minor' to 'major' event?

-Chris