Re: Even you can be hacked

  • From: Owen DeLong
  • Date: Fri Jun 11 17:46:45 2004

We'll agree to disagree on the majority of your post and your interpretation
of the facts... However, this tidbit attracted my attention...

Maybe the only bandwidth simile that could be appropriate
would be to a car in the 1950's, one which was unsafe at
any speed.
Yes... I have long felt that Micr0$0ft was the Exploding Pinto of the
information super highway (yes, I realize that's a different unsafe
car, but, bear with). However, the ISP didn't sell the customer the
computer. The ISP didn't install Windows on the computer or sell
Windows to the customer. The ISP didn't install the malware on the
computer. The ISP didn't have administrative rights to the computer.

Should the ISP have shut the customer off? Probably. I certainly would have.
Are there ISPs that don't? You bet... Some because they are afraid to.
Have ISPs been sued for turning off abusive or abusing customers? You bet.
Is it prudent for an ISP to turn someone off? Depends on how you evaluate
the risks involved. Either decision you make carries some risk.

Owen

--
If this message was not signed with gpg key 0FE2AA3D, it's probably
a forgery.