Re: Even you can be hacked

  • From: Crist Clark
  • Date: Thu Jun 10 17:56:30 2004

Andy Dills wrote:

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004, Laurence F. Sheldon, Jr. wrote:

Jeff Shultz wrote:

But ultimately, _you_ are responsible for your own systems.
Even if the water company is sending me 85% TriChlorEthane?

Right.  Got it.  The victim is always responsible.

There you have it folks.
Change the word "victim" to "negligent party" and you're correct.
It would be great if there always was a negligent party, but there is
not always one. If Widgets Inc.'s otherwise ultra-secure web server gets
0wn3d by a 0-day, there is no negligence[0]. Who eats it, Widgets Inc.
or the ISP?

So how about this analogy: Someone breaks into my house and spends a few
hours on the phone to Hong Kong. Who eats the bill, me or my LD carrier?
Neither of us was negligent.

[0] Unless someone can prove the software flaw was sloppy enough that it
constitutes negligence and goes after the software authors. Good luck with
that.
--
Crist J. Clark                               [email protected]
Globalstar Communications                                (408) 933-4387