Re: Even you can be hacked

  • From: Wayne E. Bouchard
  • Date: Thu Jun 10 16:47:10 2004

I think we're drifting from the original point here..

What it boils down to is this: If I have a DS3 to a provider in my
office and my provider notifies me that I have a worm, is it my
provider's responsibility to fly someone out here to help me fix my
systems? No. I'm the guy controlling them and I'm the one who has to
take the responsibility. So what if I don't know how? Well, surely
they can advise me where to look for the requisite information. And if
thats insufficient, I can contact a consultant to come in and help me
clean up my network but thats the key, it's MY network and MY job.

My service provider is responsible for transporting the traffic. Even
if it's "bad" traffic. I'm the one who is responsible for making sure
that the traffic originating from my network is the traffic I *want*
to originate from my network. Obviously, if the provider chooses to
implement policies (such as cable modem providers and so forth) that
restrict the type of traffic I'm allowed to source, thats their
business. It's still my job to make sure that my servers are clean.

On Thu, Jun 10, 2004 at 01:17:46PM -0700, Crist Clark wrote:

> Sean Donelan wrote:
>
> >If you leave your lights on, the electric company will send you a bill.
>
> If the neighbor taps into your power lines after the meter...?
>
> >If you leave your faucets running, the water company will send you a bill.
> >If you leave your computer infected, ???
>
> If you lose your credit card and someone runs up thousands of dollars
> in charges, the credit card company sends you a bill... But you can at
> most be held responsible for $50.
>
> Does that really mean anything with respect to Mr. Donelan's quoted
> article? Not really. But neither do electric and water bills.
>
> I have some sympathy for the malware victim. But I don't expect the
> ISP to eat all of the costs. The article is more balanced than the
> selected quotes portray.
> --
> Crist J. Clark                               [email protected]
> Globalstar Communications                                (408) 933-4387

---
Wayne Bouchard
[email protected]
Network Dude