Re: Even you can be hacked

  • From: Patrick W.Gilmore
  • Date: Thu Jun 10 14:25:41 2004

On Jun 10, 2004, at 2:06 PM, Laurence F. Sheldon, Jr. wrote:

Jeff Shultz wrote:

But ultimately, _you_ are responsible for your own systems.
Even if the water company is sending me 85% TriChlorEthane?

Right.  Got it.  The victim is always responsible.

There you have it folks.
The "victim" in the case Sean posted knew he had a worm, got some of his first bill forgiven, yet did nothing to correct it and acts surprised when the same thing happens the next month. YES, he is at fault. Anyone who thinks differently .. uh .. can I buy b/w from you? :) Oh, and since you feel responsible, I'm only going to pay for the amount of traffic I think I should have gotten on my web page, even if I get /.'ed or something. Does $25/Mbps sound good? I plan to use about 1 Mbps, but I will need an un-rate-limited GigE connection.

Back on topic, most users get upset when you do things like block ports because it breaks random crap they want to use. If you want something open, then you are responsible for what crawls through.

If you want the b/w provider to protect you, then ask them. Just be prepared to pay, because b/w prices these days do not include security services.

OTOH, as a good netizen, the upstream might want to cut off those users spewing to the rest of the 'Net. :)

--
TTFN,
patrick