Re: NLB Recommendations

  • From: Joe Abley
  • Date: Thu Jun 10 09:42:12 2004
On 8 Jun 2004, at 19:32, James Baldwin wrote:

I'm looking for recommendations for network load balancers. These, at this time, will primarily be used to attach to a cluster of webservers although I would like a solution which can be repurposed to other applications later. I am looking at F5's Big IP, Cisco's SLB, and Foundry's ServerIron at this time.
Depending on the nature of your content and how you want your load distributed, the approach we take with distributing DNS load (udp and tcp) across a cluster of nameservers may be of interest:

http://www.isc.org/pubs/tn/isc-tn-2004-1.html
http://www.isc.org/pubs/tn/isc-tn-2004-1.txt

No bells and whistles here, but also no need to buy load-balancing appliances. Be sure to read section 6 ("Limitations").

Joe