Re: [Fwd: [IP] Japan facing bandwidth shortage due to take-up in broadband]

  • From: Tony Li
  • Date: Wed Jun 09 21:14:14 2004

With the current facilities as they are, a simple calculation shows that
actual communications traffic will exceed the backbone's maximum
capacity as
soon as five years from now.
Since when is this is a good indicator? If we ignore any of the growth in facility capacity in the last 5 years, wouldn't we all be in capacity -plus situations right now? I know we are moving more than our total capacity from 5 years ago.

I suggest that folks re-read and heed the words of Sage Bush. This announcement is simply official marketing
to support a few facts: a) the government is officially acknowledging the exponential growth of the Internet,
something that all here understood long ago, b) the government is now supporting the development of a router
in Japan and this is the rationale for them to provide governmental support for the 'lucrative' core router
market.

Tony