Re: SSH on the router - was( IT security people sleep well)

  • From: Alexei Roudnev
  • Date: Wed Jun 09 01:51:05 2004

Hmm.

I watched it _exactly_ as you described, and guess where? In hacker's
sniffered files. (4 years ago, sorry)

One idiot telnet to his scientific lab (which has not any security and had a
few layers of sniffers installed by a few generations of hackers), and then
slogin by the chain of 4 more systems, revealing all 4 passwords to the
happy hacker.

(On the other hand, we used... telnet on non-standard port + S/Key one time
passwords... and it was enough to prevent any hackers from snifferring and
any chance to login after us, except _man in the middle_ attack which was
blocked by other ways... I can say, that 1 time password is more important
than ssh (and I prefer both -:)).

(It can be S/key, otp,  secureid, hand scan...)