Re: Verizon IP's and ARIN Records

  • From: Steven Champeon
  • Date: Tue Jun 08 11:00:08 2004

on Tue, Jun 08, 2004 at 01:00:55AM -0700, william(at)elan.net wrote:
> I'm not sure what will need to happen for ARIN to understand that validity
> and security of whois data is important and people rely on that all the
> time and they can't just ignore these issues. Unfortunetly most people who
> actually use their data also the ones who really dont have time or interest
> to participate in ARIN political process and as such are not heard at all.

Well, one thing that has to happen is that ISPs and co-lo providers
(such as Inflow, our former - note /former/ - provider) need to
"understand that validity and security of whois data is important and
people rely on that all the time and they can't just ignore these issues".

Which, unfortunately, is what Inflow refused to understand the entire
time we were co-lo'd with them, and continue to ignore to this day. I'm
not surprised to find that our old netblock is still tagged with my
company's name, despite requests to have it updated:

Request: 66.45.6.196
connected to whois.arin.net [192.149.252.43:43] ...
Inflow NFLO-AR-2 (NET-66-45-0-0-1)
                                  66.45.0.0 - 66.45.127.255
Hesketh INFLOW-55125-5697 (NET-66-45-6-192-1)
                                  66.45.6.192 - 66.45.6.223

...because Inflow didn't give a damn when we were paying them, I can't
imagine they'd give a damn now that we've decided to pay someone else.

We tried for six months to get them to add an abuse contact field to our
ARIN record and they wasted dozens of hours explaining that because it
was optional they didn't have to do it, when the point was that it was
/necessary/, or at least /being actively requested/, and that the way to
keep customers isn't to explain how you don't have to do something, but
rather to do what the customer asks. I'm glad that RFCi listing didn't
have any real effect on our ability to send mail. :-/

But, as I've said, Inflow is our /former/ co-lo provider, so they can go
to hell for all I care. But I really wish they, or someone, would clean
up our old ARIN records so that the next spammer they host, or netblock
that gets hijacked, doesn't suggest, via ARIN, that my company has
anything to do with it.

Steve

Buy "Cascading Style Sheets: Separating Content from Presentation, 2/e" today!
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/159059231X/heskecominc-20/ref=nosim/